Who we are
The CAIR Project is an abortion fund that serves the Northwest. We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit that operates a toll-free hotline staffed by trained and compassionate volunteer advocates. We provide accurate, non-biased information and referrals, as well as financial help in the form of grants for abortion services. The CAIR Project began as a community effort in 1998 in response to an unmet need for abortion funding in the Pacific Northwest. We are a member of the National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF), a membership organization of over 100 funds across the United States.
To fund abortion and break down barriers to abortion access for all people in the Northwest.
We envision a world where:
- All people have the power and resources to make decisions for themselves about their bodies and lives—including and especially decisions about pregnancy and abortion.
- All pregnant people are treated with respect, dignity, and compassion, regardless of whether they choose abortion, birth, or adoption.
- Every child is loved, wanted, and welcomed into families and communities that are safe and economically sound.
- People’s abortion experiences are safe, legal, affordable, and informed by medically accurate information.
- People’s abortion care is readily available and accessible in their communities.
- Equal access to abortion is guaranteed for all, regardless of economic situation.
Because the right to choose an abortion is meaningless without access to abortion care.
- Trust: We believe the people we serve are experts on their own lives, and we trust their decisions regarding their sexual and reproductive health. We work to build trust with those who seek our support by treating people with unconditional respect, dignity, and compassion, and by ensuring confidentiality.
- Respect, dignity, and compassion: We treat people with unconditional respect, dignity, and compassion, and support the decisions they make about their bodies, lives, and families. We believe everyone deserves access to high-quality, nonjudgmental reproductive healthcare.
- Reproductive justice: We believe all people should be able to determine if and when to have children, and to raise children in safe and healthy environments, free from violence. We stand in solidarity with the women of color who founded the reproductive justice movement.
- Autonomy: We believe all people have the right to decide what to do with their own bodies, and that no one should have to carry a pregnancy to term against their will. We affirm the reproductive freedom of all people, including trans and gender nonconforming people.
- Racial justice: We stand in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and other organizations working for justice, respect, and dignity for communities of color. We commit to the ongoing work it takes to be an anti-racist organization.
- Intersectionality: We recognize that unequal access to healthcare, including abortion care, is tied to overlapping forms of discrimination, including sexism, racism, ableism, classism, homophobia, and transphobia. We will work to include the voices of the people we serve in all that we do.