Free state health insurance to pay for abortion (Medicaid)
Oregon has a state health insurance program (called Medicaid, or Oregon Health Plan) that pays for most health care services, including abortion. Depending on your income, you could qualify for this free health coverage. Only U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents of more than five years qualify. Undocumented immigrants and legal permanent residents of fewer than five years do not qualify.
Who can qualify for Medicaid (Oregon Health Plan)
- People within certain income limits
- Minors who are able to get help from parents or guardians to apply
- U.S. citizens
- Legal permanent residents of at least five years
Who does not qualify for Medicaid (Oregon Health Plan)
- People with other health insurance plans
- People whose income is too high to qualify
- Legal permanent residents of fewer than five years
- Undocumented immigrants
How to apply
Other options for abortion funding
- Contact your abortion clinic to see if help is available through the clinic.
- The Network for Reproductive Options (NRO) is an abortion fund in Eugene that serves Oregon residents who do not qualify for Oregon Health Plan. You can reach NRO at (541) 513-6607.
The CAIR Project – the Pacific Northwest’s abortion fund
For financial help from CAIR, please call our hotline at 1-888-644-CAIR (2247).
Funding is limited, and we cannot guarantee help to every caller. Grants are sent directly to the abortion clinic.
When you call our hotline, please be prepared to leave a message with:
- Your name and how to spell it
- Phone number, including area code
- How far along you are in the pregnancy
- The date of your abortion appointment
- The best time to call you back
Our trained volunteer advocates will return your call within 24 hours, Monday – Friday. Please note that calls are returned from a blocked number to protect your privacy.
Traveling for an abortion?
If you're traveling for abortion care, and need assistance with lodging and/or transportation, the Abortion Access Network may be able to help. To learn more, contact The CAIR Project at 1-888-644-2247 (CAIR) and choose option 3 from the menu.
- Abortion doula services, as well as help with ground transportation in Portland, are available through partner organization Cascades Abortion Support Collective (CASC). You can reach CASC at (503) 610-0692.