Free state health insurance to pay for abortion (Medicaid)
Alaska has a state health insurance program (called Medicaid or DenaliCare) that pays for most health care services, including abortion. Depending on your income, you could qualify for this free health coverage. Only Alaska residents who are U.S. citizens qualify. Undocumented immigrants do not qualify.
Alaska Medicaid pays for travel to Washington state for second trimester abortion care, which is not available in Alaska.
Who can qualify for Medicaid (DenaliCare)
- People within certain income limits
- Minors who are able to get help from parents or guardians to apply
- U.S. citizens
- Legal permanent residents of at least five years
- Alaska residents
Who does not qualify for Medicaid (DenaliCare)
- People with other health insurance plans
- Legal permanent residents of fewer than five years
- Undocumented immigrants
- People who do not have Alaska residency
How to apply
The CAIR Project – the Pacific Northwest’s abortion fund
For financial help from CAIR, please call our hotline at 1-888-644-CAIR (2247).
Funding is limited, and we cannot guarantee help to every caller. Grants are sent directly to the abortion clinic.
When you call our hotline, please be prepared to leave a message with:
- Your name and how to spell it
- Phone number, including area code
- How far along you are in the pregnancy
- The date of your abortion appointment
- The best time to call you back
Our trained volunteer advocates will return your call within 24 hours, Monday – Friday. Please note that calls are returned from a blocked number to protect your privacy.